ANTONYMS (Solved PRACTICE SET-2)
ANTONYMS — PRACTICE SET-2 — SOLVED
1. Kapil’s bowling yesterday proved very costly.
A) economical B) frugal
C) thrifty D) expensive
2. I cannot see much likeness between the two boys.
A) enmity B) hatred
C) difference D) dislike
3. I am still dubious about that plan.
A) certain B) doubtful
C) docile D) faithful
4. The wise say that life is meant not merely to accumulate wealth but for self-realization.
A) amass B) produce
C) scatter D) gather
5. He will never turn down your request.
A) turn up B) turn over
C) reject D) accept
6. Real happiness does not lie in material possessions alone.
A) physical B) essential
C) spiritual D) manual
7. I was upset by his hostile attitude.
A) friendly B) positive
C) negative D) inimical
8. Ashoka was a magnanimous king.
A) small B) petty
C) kind D) majestic
9. Mala is always defiant in her behaviour.
A) obedient B) rebellious
C) meek D) friendly
10. I find his views repugnant.
A) amiable B) repulsive
C) amoral D) apolitical
11. The officer exaggerated the damage caused by the rowdies.
A) underwrote B) condemned
C) ignored D) underestimated
12. The speaker was unable to pacify the crowd.
A) excite B) antagonize
C) threaten D) challenge
13. His officer was a very strict person.
A) pleasant B) open hearted
C) lenient D) indifferent
14. Servitude is not helpful for mental growth.
A) Disservice B) Retirement
C) Freedom D) Termination
15. His attitude to poor people is deplorable.
A) commendable B) miserable
C) equitable D) desirable
16. The guest made derogatory remarks about the food he was served.
A) interesting B) complimentary
C) unnecessary D) cheerful
17. He has an aversion to milk.
A) dear B) loving
C) liking D) pet
18. The paucity of good teachers is the chief reason for the present condition of these schools.
A) presence B) surplus
C) appointment D) retention
19. Don’t you think his account of things was monotonous?
A) agreeable B) acceptable
C) varied D) indecent
20. Spurious drugs can prove to be fatal.
A) Virtuous B) Inferior
C) Genuine D) Contemptuous
21. His short but pointed speech was applauded by all sections of the audience.
A) disapproved B) misunderstood
C) praised D) welcomed
22. The climbers found the ascent nerve breaking.
A) slide B) fall
C) decline D) descent
23. A friendly dog met us at the farm gate.
A) helpful B) understanding
C) quiet D) hostile
24. He is extremely intelligent but proud.
A) dull B) weak
C) ignorant D) arrogant
25. The young leader was reluctant to shoulder the responsibilities of the ministerial office.
A) wanting B) willing
C) anxious D) eager
|1. A||2. C||3. A||4. C||5. D||6. C||7. A||8. B||9. A||10. A|
|11. D||12. A||13. C||14. C||15. A||16. B||17. C||18. B||19. C||20. C|
|21. A||22.D||23. D||24. A||25. B|
Solution with explanation
4. Option ‘C’ (scatter). SCATTER = throw in various random directions
8. Option ‘B’ (petty). PETTY = not important and not worth giving attention to; e.g.
Prisoners complain that they are subjected to too many petty rules and restrictions.
10. Option ‘A’ (amiable). AMIABLE = friendly
19. Option ‘C’ (varied). VARIED = containing or changing between several different things or types; e.g.
With its varied climate, the country attracts both winter and summer sports enthusiasts.
For more Practice Sets on Antonyms buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY