Cloze Test Solved Practice Set 12
CLOZE TEST 12
More than 7,000 people died within a matter of days when toxic gas leaked –1– a chemical plant in Bhopal, India. The leak began late at night and –2– for several hours unnoticed. Since then, –3– to the toxins created by the leak has resulted in innumerable deaths. Many more are sick and –4– to live normal lives. Despite trying to get –5– for the disaster, the people have seen no real attempt to compensate them. The company involved, UCC, has publicly –6– all responsibility for the leak. No one till date has been held –7–. Was it the –8– of the machinery or simply human error? Many questions remain –9–. The investigation has been dealt with in a very –10– manner.
1. A) in B) at C) of D) by
2. A) continued B) started C) proceeded D) went
3. A) experience B) introduction C) exposure D) acquaintance
4. A) struggling B) fighting C) grappling D) learning
5. A) finances B) compensation C) money D) payment
6. A) blocked B) refused C) forbidden D) denied
7. A) guilty B) responsible C) accounting D) trustworthy
8. A) closure B) insolvency C) stopping D) failure
9. A) unattempted B) unapologetic C) unanswered D) unreturned
10. A) callous B) cruel C) hard D) thick skinned
|1. A||2. A||3. C||4. A||5. B||6. D||7. B||8. D||9. C||10. A|
Solution with explanation
3. Option ‘C’ (exposure). EXPOSURE = the fact of experiencing something or being affected by it because of being in a particular situation or place; e.g.
You should always limit your exposure to the sun.
4. Option ‘A’ (struggling). STRUGGLE = to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something; e.g.
Fish struggle for survival when the water level drops in the lake.
5. Option ‘B’ (compensation). COMPENSATION = money that is paid to someone in exchange for something that has been lost or damaged or for some problem; e.g.
She received Rs 4,00,000 in compensation for a lost eye.
6. Option ‘D’ (denied). DENY = not to admit that you have knowledge, responsibility, feelings, etc.; e.g.
i) He denied all responsibility for the failure of the plan.
ii) Even under torture, he refused to deny his beliefs.
10. Option ‘A’ (callous). CALLOUS = showing no concern for other people or their feelings.
For more Practice Sets on Direct & Indirect Speech (Narration) buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY
For chapters/topics on English Grammar read the following book authored by me.
Link for buying the above bookCLICK HERE TO BUY