Cloze Test Solved Practice Set 14
CLOZE TEST 14
The World Health Organisation has confirmed that the Olympic Games –1– to be held in August –2– Rio de Janeiro will go ahead, the Zika virus –3–. An Emergency Committee meeting –4– by the WHO Director-General said there is ‘very low risk’ of the virus spreading globally as a consequence of the Games being –5– in Brazil. The local mosquito population level is expected to –6– sharply in August, the Brazilian mid-winter, and the annual infection rate is expected to peak before that. Intensive vector-control measures at and around the venue will reduce –7– risks. It is possible that a few individuals –8– get infected and contribute to a global spread and start –9– a new chain of local transmission. But the risk will be the same as in any country where the local transmission of the Zika virus is –10–; it does not get amplified even when thousands come together, as the committee has noted.
1. A) scheduled B) plan C) scheme D) organized
2. A) therewith B) into C) at D) in
3. A) along with B) notwithstanding C) withstanding D) henceforth
4. A) convened B) call C) had D) there
5. A) play B) held C) happen D) hold
6. A) go B) drop C) fell D) happen
7. A) suspension B) suspicion C) transmission D) transportation
8. A) may B) might C) ought to D) will not
9. A) of B) off C) on D) at
10. A) progress B) coming C) going D) ongoing
|1. A||2. D||3. B||4. A||5. B||6. B||7. C||8. A||9. B||10. D|
Solution with explanation
1. Option ‘A’ (scheduled). SCHEDULED = arranged to happen at a particular time; e.g.
He went to the doctor on Wednesday for a previously scheduled appointment.
2. Option ‘D’ (in). Before the names of bigger places such as cities, countries, etc. we use IN.
3. Option ‘B’ (notwithstanding). NOTWITHSTANDING = despite the factor thing mentioned; e.g.
Injuries notwithstanding, the team won the semifinal.
4. Option ‘A’ (convened). CONVENE = to bring together a group of people for a meeting; e.g.
The Prime Minister convened a meeting of his cabinet to discuss the matter.
5. Option ‘B’ (held). After BEING if we need another verb we use V3. HELD is V3 of HOLD.
7. Option ‘C’ (transmission). TRANSMISSION = a process by which a disease spreads from one person to another; e.g.
Doctors are working to prevent the transmission of the virus.
8. Option ‘A’ (may). For possibilities we use MAY. MIGHT is used to express the sense of less possibility, hence incorrect.
10. Option ‘D’ (ongoing). ONGOING = a situation that has been happening for quite a long time and seems likely to continue for some time in the future.; e.g.
No agreement has yet been reached and the negotiations are still ongoing.
For more Practice Sets on Close Test buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY
For chapters/topics on English Grammar read the following book authored by me.
Link for buying the above bookCLICK HERE TO BUY