Cloze Test Solved Practice Set 19
CLOZE TEST 19
Yesterday there was a serious accident on the Mall Road. A drunken driver was driving a motor car at forty miles an hour. As the car swept round a –1– corner, it ran –2– a tonga occupied by a woman with an infant in her arms, the tonga was overturned. Happily no one was killed but woman and child received –3– injuries. The hostile crowd was so –4– with the driver that all his explanations did not –5– him from being roughed up. It was with great difficulty that he –6–. Soon a boy scout –7– on the spot and provided first aid to the –8– mother and child. A policeman also reached –9– and took down the number of the –10–.
1. A) distant B) disheveled C) sharp D) twisted
2. A) behind B) with C) against D) into
3. A) insignificant B) trivial C) minor D) slight
4. A) enraged B) irritated C) mad D) infuriated
5. A) stop B) escaped C) spare D) save
6. A) escaped B) ran C) left D) fled
7. A) approached B) appeared C) reached D) arrived
8. A) injured B) aggrieved C) affected D) afflicted
9. A) thereafter B) thence C) there D) then
10. A) inured B) people C) car D) driver
|1. C||2. D||3. C||4. D||5. D||6. A||7. D||8. A||9. C||10. C|
Solution with explanation
1. Option ‘C’ (sharp). A sharp bend, corner or turn is one that changes direction suddenly; e.g. I was approaching a fairly sharp bend that swept downhill to the left.
2. Option ‘D’ (into). Run into someone/something = to hit someone or something by accident while you are driving; e.g.
A truck ran into me (=hit my car) at the lights this morning.
4. Option ‘D’ (infuriated). INFURIATE = to make someone extremely angry, e.g.
His sexist attitude infuriates me.
7. Option ‘D’ (arrived). You can’t choose REACHED (option ‘C’) as it’s a transitive verb, hence takes an object directly, you see there is a preposition ON just after.
For more Practice Sets on Cloze Test buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY
For chapters/topics on English Grammar read the following book authored by me.
Link for buying the above bookCLICK HERE TO BUY