Cloze Test Solved Practice Set-8
CLOZE TEST 8
Demonetisation of high denomination bank notes was in –1– of a series of measures taken by our Government during the last two years. It is a bold and decisive –2–. For several decades, tax evasion for many has become a way of life. This compromises the larger public interest and creates unjust enrichment in favour of the tax evader, to the detriment of the poor and –3–. This has bred a parallel economy which is unacceptable for an inclusive –4–.
Demonetisation seeks to create a new ‘normal’ wherein the GDP would be bigger, cleaner and real. This exercise is part of our government’s –5– to eliminate corruption, black money, counterfeit currency and terror funding. Like all reforms, this measure is obviously –6–, as it seeks to change the retrograde –7–. Drop in economic activity, if any, on account of the currency squeeze during the demonetisation –8– is expected to have only a –9– impact on the economy. I am reminded here –10– what the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, had said: “A right cause never fails”.
1. A) continue B) continuation C) contribute D) contrive
2. A) marigold B) manner C) meager D) measure
3. A) deprived B) decided C) deciduous D) detrimental
4. A) society B) socio-economic C) sociology D) social
5. A) repetition B) repulsive C) resolve D) reprimand
6. A) dissolute B) dissolve C) disbursal D) disruptive
7. A) carte blanche B) status quo C) bona fide D) faux pas
8. A) period B) paranoid C) parabola D) panoramic
9. A) intransitive B) transitive C) transient D) transverse
10. A) with B) off C) about D) of
|1. B||2. D||3. A||4. A||5. C||6. D||7. B||8. A||9. C||10. D|
Solution with explanation
1. Option ‘B’ (continuation). CONTINUATION = the action of carrying something on over time. IN is a preposition. After a preposition we can’t use a verb. CONTINUE (option ‘A’) is a verb, hence incorrect. CONTINUATION is a noun, e.g.
The continuation of the strike caused a lot of hardship.
2. Option ‘D’ (measure). MEASURE = assess the importance, effect, or value of something.
3. Option ‘A’ (deprived). DEPRIVED = not having the things that are necessary for a pleasant life, such as enough money, food, or good living conditions
5. Option ‘C’ (resolve). RESOLVE = strong determination
6. Option ‘D’ (disruptive). DISRUPTIVE = to prevent something from continuing or operating in a normal way
7. Option ‘B’ (status quo). STATUS QUO = the existing state of affairs, especially regarding social or political issues.
9. Option ‘C’ (transient). TRANSIENT = lasting only for a short time; impermanent
10. Option ‘D’ (of). REMIND OF = to make someone think of someone or something else because of being very similar to them; e.g.
She was tall and dark, and reminded me of my cousin Babita).
For more Practice Sets on Direct & Indirect Speech (Narration) buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY