SSC EXAMS: ONE WORD SUBSTITUTION – SOLVED PRACTICE SET
Here is a Practice Set on One Word Substitution taken from the book English Practice Set (for competitive exams) authored by me (Maha Gupta). All the question included in this Practice Set are supported by the answer key of the set. Each question of this Practice Set is also well supported by lucid and detailed explanation. I’m sure you won’t face a problem in understanding those explanations.
Further, I want to ensure you that Each Practice Set on One Word Substitution of the above book is just like the present Practice Set on One Word Substitution as well. These Practice Sets will be very useful for any competitive exams of the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) or Grade-II DASS Exam of the DSSSB, and other similar exams and will help you score good score. Names of some exams are given below for example:
1. Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam Tier-I & Tier-II
2. Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Exam (CHSL) Tier-I
3. SI in Delhi Police and CPO Exam Paper-I & Paper-II
4. Stenographers Exam
5. Grade-II DASS Exam conducted by Delhi Staff Subordinate Services (DSSSB)
ONE WORD SUBSTITUTION — SOLVED PRACTICE SET-8
QUESTIONS: 25 MAXIMUM TIME: 5 minutes
1. A number of ships
A) Fleet B) Galaxy
C) Constellation D) Group
2. Parts of a country behind the coast or a river bank
A) Swamps B) Marshes
C) Hinterland D) Isthmuses
3. To look at someone in an angry or threatening way
A) Glower B) Gnaw
C) Gnash D) Grind
4. The time between midnight and noon
A) Afternoon B) Antipodes
C) Ante-meridiem D) Antenatal
5. To be known for bad acts
A) Famous B) Notorious
C) Criminal D) Terrorist
6. A list of items to be transacted at a meeting
A) Menu B) Agenda
C) Minutes D) Records
7. Allowance due to a wife from her husband on separation
A) Patrimony B) Antimony
C) Parsimony D) Alimony
8. Instrument which records earth’s tremor
A) Monograph B) Geographer
C) Seismograph D) Barometer
9. Violent storm
A) Weather B) Rains
C) Breeze D) Tempest
10. The process by which a person or an organization reduces the amount of money it spends
A) Budgeting B) Retrenchment
C) Saving D) Closure
11. Those who go on to someone else’s land without the owner’s permission
A) Delinquents B) Trespassers
C) Offenders D) Culprits
12. Sum of money to be paid for freeing a person from captivity
A) Ransom B) Compensation
C) Tribute D) Penalty
13. A number of stars grouped together
A) Orbit B) Constellation
C) Solar system D) Comet
14. One who hides away on a ship to obtain a free passage
A) Compositor B) Stoker
C) Stowaway D) Shipwright
15. To send back a person to one’s country
A) Repatriate B) Expatriate
C) Migrate D) Emigrate
16. The house of an Eskimo
A) Hamlet B) Downy
C) Igloo D) Hut
17. A speech made to oneself
A) Dialogue B) Speech
C) Soliloquy D) Monologue
18. A long journey, especially by sea
A) Flight B) Voyage
C) Odyssey D) Safari
19. Decision that cannot be taken back
A) Irrevocable B) Rigid
C) Order D) Brief
A) Aquiline B) Bovine
C) Feline D) Vulpine
21. Doing something according to one’s own free will
A) Willfully B) Obligingly
C) Voluntarily D) Compulsorily
22. Place that provides refuge
A) Shelter B) House
C) Country D) Asylum
23. Fear of height
A) Agoraphobia B) Hydrophobia
C) Acrophobia D) Pyrophobia
24. The highest point
A) Zenith B) Height
C) Zeal D) Ridge
25. Feeling inside you which tells you what is right and what is wrong
A) Cleverness B) Conscience
C) Consciousness D) Fear
|1. A||2. C||3. A||4. C||5. B||6. B||7. D||8. C||9. D||10. B|
|11. B||12. A||13. B||14. C||15. A||16. C||17. C||18. B||19. A||20. B|
|21. C||22. D||23. C||24. A||25. B|
Solution with explanation
4. Option ‘C’ (Ante-meridian). This is the full form of a.m.
5. Option ‘B’ (Notorious); e.g.
The company is notorious for paying its bills late.
6. Option ‘B’ (Agenda). Here TRANSACTED means to discuss.
8. Option ‘C’ (Seismograph). TREMOR = a slight earthquake; e.g.
The tremor was felt as far as 200 miles away.
12. Option ‘A’ (Ransom). CAPTIVITY = the situation in which a person or animal is kept somewhere and is not allowed to leave
14. Option ‘C’ (Stowaway). Here PASSAGE = a journey by ship; e.g.
We’d arrived the day before after a 10-hour passage from Mumbai.
16. Option ‘C’ (Igloo). ESKIMO = a member of a race of people who live in the cold northern areas of North America, Greenland, and Siberia
17. Option ‘C’ (Soliloquy). It’s a speech in a play that the character speaks to himself or herself or to the people watching rather than to the other characters.
20. Option ‘B’ (Bovine). COW-LIKE = connected with cows; e.g.
a bovine virus
22. Option ‘D’ (Asylum). REFUGE = a place that gives protection or shelter from danger, trouble, unhappiness, etc.; e.g.
She had fled from her violent husband to a women’s refuge.
For more Practice Sets on One Word Substitution buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY