Solved Comprehension Passage 4
The simplest method of welding two pieces of metal together is known as pressure welding. The ends of metal are heated to a white heat – for iron the welding temperature should be about 1300°C – in a flame. At this temperature the metal becomes plastic. The ends are then pressed or hammered together, and the joint is smoothed off. Care must be taken to ensure that the surfaces are thoroughly clean first, for dirt will weaken the weld. Moreover, the heating of iron or steel to a high temperature cause oxidation, and a film of oxide is formed on the heated surfaces. For this reason, a flux is applied to the heated metal.
At welding heat, the flux melts, and the oxide particles are dissolved in it together with any other impurities which may be present. The metal surfaces are pressed together, and the flux is squeezed out from the centre of the weld. A number of different types of weld may be used, but for fairly thick bars of metals, a vee-shaped weld should normally be employed. It is rather stronger than the ordinary butt weld.
1. The simplest way of welding two pieces of metal together is
A) heating the metal
B) holding it in a flame
C) coating the metal with plastic
D) hammering heated pieces
2. Unless the surfaces are cleaned first
A) the metal will not take white heat
B) the resulting weld will be weak
C) the joint will be rough
D) the metal will be less plastic
3. When iron is heated to about 1300 degree centigrade
A) flames turn from white to blue
B) chemical reaction starts
C) oxide film is found on its surfaces
D) it turns into steel
4. The flux is used to
A) make the metal plastic
B) cool the heated metal
C) cover up any dirt
D) dissolve oxide and other impurities
5. For fairly thick bars of metals
A) a vee-shaped weld should be used
B) ordinary butt weld should be used
C) a number of different types of weld may be used
D) a pressure weld may be used
SOLUTION WITH EXPLANATION
|1. A||2. B||3. C||4. D||5. A|
Solution with explanation
1. Option ‘A’ (heating the metal). The answer lies in the first two sentences.
3. Option ‘C’ (oxide film is found on its surfaces). The answer lies in this sentence — Moreover, the heating of iron or steel to a high temperature cause oxidation, and a film of oxide is formed on the heated surfaces.