SSC CHSL EXAM–EXAMINATION SCHEME
SCHEME OF EXAM OF CHSL (10+2)
CHSL Exam consists of one objective online exam of 60 minutes of 200 marks and one descriptive paper of 1 hour of 100 marks for all posts, and SKILL TEST/DEST in the following manner:
1. DEST for DEO
2. TYPING TEST for LDC, POSTAL ASSISTANT/SORTING ASSISTANT & COURT CLERK.
i) TIER-I (Online Objective Paper)
It consists of 100 questions of 200 marks to be attempted in 60 minutes.
(80 Minutes for candidates eligible for scribes.)
|S. No.||Subject||Number of Questions||Marks|
NOTE: Negative marking of 0.50 marks for each incorrect answer
NOTE-II: Marks scored by candidates in Tier-I will be normalized by using the formula published by the Commission through Notice No: 1-1/2018-P&P-I dated 07-02-2019 and such normalized scores will be used to determine final merit and cut-off marks.
ii) TIER-II (Descriptive Paper)
It consists of 2 questions of 100 marks to be attempted in 1 hour (20 minutes compensatory time will also be provided to the candidates eligible for scribes).
1. Essay/Precis (200-250 words)
2. Letter/Application (150-200 words)
NOTE-I: Minimum qualifying marks in Descriptive Paper: 33%
NOTE-II: The performance in the Descriptive Paper would be included for preparing merit.
NOTE-III: The paper will have to be written either in Hindi or in English. Part paper written in Hindi and Part in English will not be evaluated.
NOTE-IV: The final merit of the successful candidates would be determined on the basis of total score obtained by them in Tier-I (objective paper) and Tier-II (descriptive paper).
NOTE-V: Candidates shall not write any personal identity e.g. name, roll number, mobile number, address, etc. inside the Answer Book. The candidates who fail to adhere to these instructions will be awarded zero marks even if marks are awarded during the evaluation process.
a) Skill Test (DEST): FOR DATA ENTRY OPERATOR (DEO)
DEST is held in the following manner
- DEST for DEO in CAG @50wpm
- DEST for DEO in other departments @27wpm
DEST for DEO in other departments: Data Entry Speed Test (DEST) at 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depressions per hour on Computer, means 27 wpm. The duration of the Test will be 15 (Fifteen) minutes and printed matter in English containing about 2000-2200 key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer. The passage to be entered in the Computer may also be displayed on the computer screen.
DEST for DEO (Grade-A) in CAG: The required DEST SPEED is at 15,000 (fifteen thousand) Key Depressions per hour on Computer, means 50 wpm. The duration of the Test will be 15 (Fifteen) minutes and printed matter in English containing about 3700-4000 key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer. The passage to be entered in the Computer may also be displayed on the computer screen.
NOTE-I: Only those candidates, who secure at least the minimum qualifying marks in the online exam (Tier-I) and Descriptive Paper (Tier-II), as may be fixed by the Commission at its discretion, will be called for skill test. The Commission may also at its discretion, fix qualifying marks in each component of the written examination.
NOTE-II: Skill Test is mandatory for Data Entry Operators. No candidate is exempted from appearing in the Skill Test.
NOTE-III: Candidates eligible for scribe will be given compensatory time of 5 minutes. Therefore duration of Skill Test for such candidates will be 20 minutes.
NOTE-IV: DEST will be of qualifying nature.
NOTE-V: Central Government civilian employees availing age relaxation must furnish ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their Employer/Office at the time of the skill test, failing which the benefit of age relaxation will not be allowed to such candidates and they will not be allowed to appear in the Skill Test.
NOTE-VI: Skill Test/Typing Test for the shortlisted candidates will be conducted on the computers provided by the Commission or its authorized agency.
b) Typing Test: For LDC, POSTAL/SORTING ASSISTANT & COURT CLERK
1. Typing Test will be of qualifying nature.
2. The choice of Typing Test given by the candidate in the online Application Form shall be treated as final and no change in the medium of Typing Test will be entertained later.
3. Typing Test will be conducted only in English or Hindi and candidates while applying for the Examination will have to indicate his/her choice/option for Typing Test Medium in the Application Form.
4. Candidates opting for English medium should have typing speed of 35 words per minute and those opting for Hindi medium should have typing speed of 30 words per minute. 35 wpm. corresponds to 10500 key depressions per hour and 30 wpm corresponds to 9000 key depressions per hour.
5. The speed will be adjudged on the accuracy of typing on the computer of a given text passage in 10 minutes. Candidates eligible for scribe will be given compensatory time of 5 minutes. Therefore duration of Typing Test for such candidates will be 15 minutes.
6. Passage Dictators will be provided to each of VH candidates by the Commission for the typewriting test. The Passage Dictators will read out the passage to the VH candidates within the allotted time period. Further, Passage Dictators will be allowed for Typing Test only to those VH candidates who have taken Scribe in the written examination.
7. Persons with Disabilities candidates who claim to be permanently unfit to take the Typing Test because of a physical disability may, with the prior approval of the Commission, be exempted from the requirement of appearing and qualifying at such test, provided such a candidate submits a Certificate in the prescribed format which is given below to the Commission from the competent Medical Authority, i.e., the Civil Surgeon of a Government Health Care Institution declaring him/ her to be permanently unfit for the Typing Test because of a physical disability.
In addition, such candidates must substantiate their claim by furnishing the relevant Medical Certificate in the prescribed format of the Notice of Examination, as applicable, at the time of Typing Test. Otherwise their claim for seeking exemption from Typing Test will not be entertained by the Commission.
8. If any candidate does not opt for any medium for typing, his option will be deemed to be for English medium.
Method of Evaluation of DEST/TYPING TEST (Both English & Hindi)