SSC STENOGRAPHERS EXAM: Stenography Test
SSC STENOGRAPHERS EXAM: Everything About Stenography Test
1. What is Stenography Test?
The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English/Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade-C and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade -D. The matter will have to be transcribed (typed back) on computer only. The transcription time is as follows:
1. For Stenographer Grade -D : 50 minutes ( English )
65 minutes ( Hindi )
2. For Stenographer Grade -C: 40 minutes ( English )
55 Minutes ( Hindi )
2. IMPORTANT FOR STENOGRAPHY TEST
1. If a candidates does not indicate the medium of STENOGRAPHY TEST in the relevant column of the Application Form, the Commission will consider ENGLISH as the medium of STENOGRAPHY TEST for such candidates and the candidates will not be allowed to change the medium at a subsequent stage.
2. There is no exemption from skill test for steno for any category of candidates.
3. Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment.
4. VH candidates will be required to transcribe the matter in 75 minutes for English Shorthand or in 100 minutes for Hindi Shorthand for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ and in 70 minutes for English Shorthand test and in 95 minutes for Hindi Shorthand test for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’.
3. A Word of Advice on Typing/Steno — Very Very Important
Generally it’s seen many of the aspirants for CSS or TA or LDC or DEO or STENIGRAPGHER ignore to learn typing or steno at right time. They become serious to it only after the declaration of CGLE tier-II result or CHSL exam written result or the steno exam result as the case may be. I’m of the opinion that they do so with an intention that they can learn these things in that short period of time that is left for the skill test of their respective exam. Dear friends, let me say here that these things always take their own time to be learnt. 5-6 months for typing and 1 to 2 years for steno, you can’t learn them before it how hard you should try.
The other illness is use of laptop for typing purpose. The keyboard in the exam is that we use on the PC. Though the key pattern in both type of keyboards is same, one can’t ever type on the laptop the way one should be doing in the exam. So why is it this? If you have to type on the laptop arrange the keyboard that we use on the PC. In the end I’ll say you must start learning typing at least 6 months before the expected date of the skill test and do it on the keyboard of the PC if you are serious to a post associated with typing.
4. Admissible %age of Mistake in Steno Test/DEST/Typing Test
Normally 5% for UR and 7% for others; relaxable to 7% for UR and 10% for others if adequate candidates are not available.