SYNONYMS (Solved PRACTICE SET-2)
SYNONYMS — PRACTICE SET-2 — SOLVED
QUESTIONS: 25 MAXIMUM TIME: 5 minutes
- This machine was fabricated in our own workshop.
A) operated B) constructed
C) installed D) designed .
- He is quite meticulous in his dealings with others.
A) reserved B) haughty
C) indifferent D) very careful
- Sonam has a penchant for fine poetry.
A) desire B) bias
C) liking D) training
- She is a woman of sterling qualities.
A) interesting B) genuine
C) irritating D) exciting
- Although the boys in his class were naughty, he never resorted to corporal punishment.
A) harsh B) physical
C) unjust D) general
- He wanted to mitigate his burdens.
A) lessen B) increase
C) postpone D) leave
- She adjusted quite well with her husband’s idiosyncrasies.
A) peculiar habits B) bad habits
C) weaknesses D) stupid manners
- The Deputy Inspector General made a perfunctory inspection of the police station.
A) thorough and complete B) superficial
C) done as a routine but without interest D) intensive
- The decision to drop the atom bomb on Hiroshima was a grave one.
A) serious B) momentous
C) instinctive D) impulsive
- A scientist generally carries out his investigations empirically.
A) intuitively B) verbally
C) through written communication D) by observation and experiment
- He is employed in an ordnance factory.
A) orthodox B) arms and ammunition
C) electrical and electronic D) ordinary and common
- He is a sycophant who tries to win over politicians.
A) a psychologist B) an opportunist
C) an unscrupulous man D) a flatterer
- I cannot believe in the veracity of his statement.
A) truth B) usefulness
C) sincerity D) falsity
- Stellar groupings tend to be unlimited.
A) lengthy B) heavenly
C) huge D) infinite
- One who rules with unlimited power is called a dictator.
A) anarchist B) autocrat
C) egoist D) sycophant
- He was not ready with his annual accounts.
A) yearly B) important
C) monthly D) permanent
- All these items have been marked down.
A) reserved B) packed up
C) reduced in price D) entered
- How can you have the effrontery to ask for another loan?
A) right B) impudence
C) heart D) courage
- There was a devastating attack on his work.
A) terrible B) casual
C) unethical D) motivated
- The committee conducted an exhaustive inquiry.
A) time-consuming B) complicated
C) renewed D) thorough
- He is just laying up a lot of trouble for himself.
A) clearing B) accumulating
C) accepting D) removing
- He fought the demon with all his might.
A) heaviness B) strength
C) density D) popularity
- Devotees believe that God dwells in their heart.
A) lives B) insists
C) travels D) enters
- Not everyone can respond to a difficult question quickly.
A) discuss B) argue
C) answer D) deny
- The sage did not want to be bothered with mundane concerns.
A) worldly B) meaningless
C) trivial D) superfluous
|1. D||2. D||3. C||4. B||5. B||6. A||7. A||8. C||9. A||10. D|
|11. B||12. D||13. A||14. D||15. B||16. A||17. C||18. B||19. A||20. D|
|21. C||22. B||23. A||24. C||25. A|
Solution with explanation
7. Option ‘A’ (peculiar habits). PECULIAR = different to what is normal or expected; strange; e.g.
He gave her some very peculiar looks.
14. Option ‘D’ (infinite). STELLAR = relating to a star or stars.
18. Option ‘B’ (impudence). IMPUDENCE = quality of being rude and not showing respect, especially towards someone who is older or in a more important position; e.g.
His arrogance and impudence had offended many.
25. Option ‘A’ (worldly). WORLDLY = relating to or consisting of physical things and ordinary life rather than spiritual things; e.g.
a) For many of the refugees, the clothes they are wearing are all the worldly goods (= possessions) they have.
b) Her worldly success can hardly be denied.
For more Practice Sets on Synonyms buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY