SYNONYMS (Solved PRACTICE SET-2)
SYNONYMS — PRACTICE SET-2 — SOLVED
1. This machine was fabricated in our own workshop.
A) operated B) constructed
C) installed D) designed .
2. He is quite meticulous in his dealings with others.
A) reserved B) haughty
C) indifferent D) very careful
3. Sonam has a penchant for fine poetry.
A) desire B) bias
C) liking D) training
4. She is a woman of sterling qualities.
A) interesting B) genuine
C) irritating D) exciting
5. Although the boys in his class were naughty, he never resorted to corporal punishment.
A) harsh B) physical
C) unjust D) general
6. He wanted to mitigate his burdens.
A) lessen B) increase
C) postpone D) leave
7. She adjusted quite well with her husband’s idiosyncrasies.
A) peculiar habits B) bad habits
C) weaknesses D) stupid manners
8. The Deputy Inspector General made a perfunctory inspection of the police station.
A) thorough and complete B) superficial
C) done as a routine but without interest D) intensive
9. The decision to drop the atom bomb on Hiroshima was a grave one.
A) serious B) momentous
C) instinctive D) impulsive
10. A scientist generally carries out his investigations empirically.
A) intuitively B) verbally
C) through written communication D) by observation and experiment
11. He is employed in an ordnance factory.
A) orthodox B) arms and ammunition
C) electrical and electronic D) ordinary and common
12. He is a sycophant who tries to win over politicians.
A) a psychologist B) an opportunist
C) an unscrupulous man D) a flatterer
13. I cannot believe in the veracity of his statement.
A) truth B) usefulness
C) sincerity D) falsity
14. Stellar groupings tend to be unlimited.
A) lengthy B) heavenly
C) huge D) infinite
15. One who rules with unlimited power is called a dictator.
A) anarchist B) autocrat
C) egoist D) sycophant
16. He was not ready with his annual accounts.
A) yearly B) important
C) monthly D) permanent
17. All these items have been marked down.
A) reserved B) packed up
C) reduced in price D) entered
18. How can you have the effrontery to ask for another loan?
A) right B) impudence
C) heart D) courage
19. There was a devastating attack on his work.
A) terrible B) casual
C) unethical D) motivated
20. The committee conducted an exhaustive inquiry.
A) time-consuming B) complicated
C) renewed D) thorough
21. He is just laying up a lot of trouble for himself.
A) clearing B) accumulating
C) accepting D) removing
22. He fought the demon with all his might.
A) heaviness B) strength
C) density D) popularity
23. Devotees believe that God dwells in their heart.
A) lives B) insists
C) travels D) enters
24. Not everyone can respond to a difficult question quickly.
A) discuss B) argue
C) answer D) deny
25. The sage did not want to be bothered with mundane concerns.
A) worldly B) meaningless
C) trivial D) superfluous
|1. D||2. D||3. C||4. B||5. B||6. A||7. A||8. C||9. A||10. D|
|11. B||12. D||13. A||14. D||15. B||16. A||17. C||18. B||19. A||20. D|
|21. B||22. B||23. A||24. C||25. A|
Solution with explanation
7. Option ‘A’ (peculiar habits). PECULIAR = different to what is normal or expected; strange; e.g.
He gave her some very peculiar looks.
14. Option ‘D’ (infinite). STELLAR = relating to a star or stars.
18. Option ‘B’ (impudence). IMPUDENCE = quality of being rude and not showing respect, especially towards someone who is older or in a more important position; e.g.
His arrogance and impudence had offended many.
25. Option ‘A’ (worldly). WORLDLY = relating to or consisting of physical things and ordinary life rather than spiritual things; e.g.
a) For many of the refugees, the clothes they are wearing are all the worldly goods (= possessions) they have.
b) Her worldly success can hardly be denied.
For more Practice Sets on Synonyms buy the following book authored by me.
LINK FOR BUYING THE BOOKCLICK HERE TO BUY